The Knecht’s Nurseries and Landscaping Garden Center is 10 acres of plant heaven located just inside the western Northfield city limits on State Hwy 19. If you haven’t visited us before, we invite you to stop in and discover the Knecht’s difference. You’ll be amazed.
At Knecht’s we carry a huge inventory of over 30,000 perennials, shrubs and trees with over 1,000 different varieties available.
Knecht’s Nurseries is an industry leader in perfecting the production of affordable and easy to plant trees in special air-root pruning containers. This process creates a root system so perfectly structured and power packed with energy for new growth that we call them ‘Peak Performance Trees’. These trees will grow like gang busters from the first day that they are planted in your landscape. No more waiting several yeas for a new tree to start growing vigorously. Knecht’s ‘Peak Performance Trees’ are unmatched for quality and value.
We take great pride in having a knowledgeable sales staff to help you select the right plants or provide advice for your project. We currently have six staff members who are Minnesota Certified Nursery and Landscape Professionals ready to assist you. Our amazing selection of trees, shrubs and perennials in nursery containers and our large selection of large balled and burlapped (B&B) trees are all nicely organized with information signs for your convenience. We have one of the largest hosta selections in the area — with over 135 varieties available. We’d love to meet you and introduce you to all our various plant materials that are waiting to be adopted!
For those customers who are seeking trees, we have all sizes from very small to very large. Our fields full of fine specimens provide plenty of choice for larger trees that we would move to your site with tree spade trucks. We will be glad to meet with you to look at these trees, so you can pick the exact tree(s) that you like best.
If you want inspiration, stroll through our display gardens at your leisure — we are continuing to expand and enlarge these areas so please take time to see old favorites and some of the newer plants now available!
- Cowsmo Compost, Manure and Peat Moss: We carry 30# bags of Cowsmo composted manure. Certified organic – it’s a wonderful amendment to your garden for organic matter and mild fertilizer. Additionally, we offer 40# bags of composted manure. We also stock 2 different size bales of peat moss.
- Mulches: We offer natural mulches and dyed mulches. Our double ground hardwood mulch is great for economy and an even texture, Pine bark mulch that has a nice fragrance and a handsome natural brown appearance, and the ever popular Western Red Cedar. Our colored mulches all utilize vigorously tested, environmentally safe dye. Sylva Brown is a rich auburn brown, we have a rich dark brown and a two toned red with yellow flakes called Autumn Blaze. We have found that dyed mulches retain their appearance consistently for a couple of years. Natural mulches fade to a light grey in about one season. For your convenience, we also carry several different varieties of colors in 2 cu. ft. bags.
- Landscape Soil Mix: A mixture of black dirt, sand, peat and manure, this soil mix is great for just amending your lawn or all of your landscape and planting needs. We call it ‘miracle dirt’.
- Landscape Rock: River Rock, Shakopee Red Rock, Buff Limestone and Dresser Trap Rock. In addition we have Class 5 gravel and sand.
- Gardening and Landscape Supplies: Basic gardening and landscaping supplies are available for purchase in our main greenhouse to help you get your plants off to a healthy start and to help you get your yard & garden projects checked off of your “To Do” list! Included you will find fertilizers and acidifiers for plants, sprays and dust for pests, diseases and weeds; watering wands and cans; tree wraps and staking kits; weed barrier fabric and edging (the kind the pros use) and more!
- On the Creative Side – Garden Art by local artists: We carry a selection of creative metal Garden Art / Sculpture featuring local artists, as well as garden gizmos and glazed ceramic planters in a variety of sizes and colors.
See our large Garden Center photo slideshow here or view this small slideshow: